Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I love my job...

Well, today was quite a challenge I must say. The Lord has an eye on my goals for 2010..in order to love better than I have before..I had to experience a sad loss today. I prepared for, drove to and got to work like any other day. But we received a call early afternoon, that my favorite baby in Dallas was sick in the emergency room. I know you're thinking..favorite? can you have favorites? I only have 5 favorites from my charleston days..and they are fantabulous! :) (wink wink)

Ok disclaimer **** i do love all of my patients and treat them equally and fairly..but when I care for you for extended periods..you can work your way into my heart as a favorite..

Anyway, well, this precious sister, is a big favorite here..she has been my personal patient, object of my love and affection for 12 months. All of which were primarily in my ICU. She loved me too. :) Really..she would smile, light up when I came in the room. It was a running joke with the family because they were bilingual and I never spoke espanol to her..so I was like..oops! she might not speak spanish. :) and they would laugh! I got to experience her first smile, first laugh. She loved the high pitch baby voice that I have mastered (if you know this voice..you know it is so great.. :) :) I spent many a hours reading to her, singing to her, talking to her and my favorite, snuggling her.

Anyway, i'll spare the details, but the Lord called her to be home with Him this afternoon. I am so thankful that I could be there to support her sweet mom and spend some time with her, as her final minutes on this earth passed. What a hard day. Man, I had great plans today of working, eating well, then going to work out after. Hum..so I have a confession, I didn't go work out. :) I left work at 7pm and headed straight to chick-fil-a to get a quick bite and come home to relax. I figured I deserved that tasty treat. Days like today, make my desires and plans seem meaningless.

I think that days like these just really have a great way of straigthening out my priorities. I am so thankful that the Lord enabled me to love this baby and her family throughout her sweet life here on this earth. When things like this happen, I am all the more reminded to long for heaven. This earth is not my home. I cannot wait to dance around in heaven with my sweet little friend. She will have no more limitations. I cannot wait to see her smiling with our Savior when we are reunited!

So back to the title of my post..I do indeed love my job. I am able to love, be loved, care and to be cared for..in a way that is not possible anywhere else. I am thankful for the highs and lows and so grateful that the Lord is the mighty Physician..and I am simply his hands and feet.

I'm going to go and watch the biggest loser..that always makes me shed a few tears. :) I am thankful for each of you and want you to take this opportunity to love the ones you're with.

Much love to you!

T

3 comments:

  1. i'm so sad to hear about one of your faves!!! she is in a better place & i love what you have to say about it! know that i am thinking of you & her family during this difficult time! i'm excited about your blog. you can follow me at smayleech.blogspot.com if you are interested :) love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Taylor - what a sweet and touching post! I'm so sorry for this loss of this sweet little girl; I hope her family finds comfort in their memories and happiness in that she is no longer suffering! Wish I could give you a big hug, as I know you have given so many hugs to so many other people in times of sadness!

    I'm thrilled to follow your life through the blog world! I'm so proud of all that you have accomplished...I knew from the 1st day that I met you that you were very special and would go on to do great, great things!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great feeling it must be to know you are doing the work you were intended to do. It seems like you are reminded of this often and it is present in your words and smiles. People must ask if it is hard to work with patients you know may die sooner than later. I think for you it is a chance to get to know and love a new person and no matter the amount of time you spend with them you both benefit.

    A model for us all!

    ReplyDelete